Post Op Dry Socket
Following the extraction of your tooth, you have lost the blood clot from the site which has resulted in a “dry socket.”
This will cause pain, swelling and a bad taste or smell in the extraction site.
Please follow these instructions to help resolve this problem.
- Keep the gauze in your mouth for 20-30 minutes to allow the medicine to work in the area.
- For the next 24 hours, you may brush your teeth and gently rinse your mouth. Do not flush the area with the syringe.
- After 24 hours, you should brush your teeth and flush the area with warm salt water using the syringe. Do this after each meal.
- You may need to flush the area for the next week.
- You may stop flushing the area when the hole closes over or when you stop getting debris from the area.
- Most of the packing that was placed in the socket will be rinsed out when flushing the area. The rest of the packing should dissolve.
- If you feel like there is food or packing in the socket that you cannot remove, please call the office to schedule an appointment.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the office 910-509-1422 (during office hours)
910-620-3897 (after office hours)